Your web browser is outdated and may be insecure

The RCN recommends using an updated browser such as Microsoft Edge or Google Chrome

Immigration Advice Service

If you're an RCN member and are already in the UK, you can get free, confidential support and assistance on immigration issues.

EU Settlement Scheme

The deadline for applying for EU settled status and Pre Settled Status ended on the 30th June 2021. You can still submit a late application via the EU Settled Status Scheme. For more information, please see our page Status of EU nationals and their family members, or contact RCN Direct on 0345 772 6100 to be referred to our Immigration Advice Service if you are still concerned about your status in the UK.

COVID-19 update

The Government announced measures that will assist some healthcare workers currently residing in the UK under Tier 2 or Skilled Worker visas. The announcement covers the following:

  1. Tier 2 residents and additional hours in a second Job (if the second job is with the NHS)
  2. Visas that expire between 1st April 2021 and 30th September 2021 can now be extended for one year free of charge

For more information see: COVID-19: Advice for UK visa applicants and temporary UK residents at GOV.UK. If you're still concerned about your status in the UK, please contact the Immigration Advice Service.

What we can advise you on:

  • Skilled Worker Visa (formally called the Tier 2 (General) visa)
  • Tier 4 (Student Visa) and Tier 5 (Temporary Worker)
  • Points based system dependants
  • Changing or extending your current visa
  • Applications based on marriage/civil partnership
  • European Settled Status Scheme Applications
  • British citizenship
  • Human Rights Claims
  • Refugee Settlement Applications
  • Home office refusal on an application to remain in the UK

We do not provide advice and assistance with asylum applications. We can assist with finding accredited advisors who will be able to assist with asylum claims.

How to book an appointment

If you're an RCN member needing advice on immigration matters, contact the RCN advice team who can help book you an appointment.

We're also available via live chat or email.

Appeals and visa applications

Our solicitors will be able to assist with preparing and representation on immigration appeals.


Confidentiality is central to the service we offer. Any information concerning clients of the service, including whether or not they have contacted the service, will remain confidential to the service. 

No information will be passed to any outside organisation or individual, or to other staff or members of the RCN, without the client's specific request or explicit permission to do so. For more information about our obligations under the Data Protection Act 1998, please refer to the RCN’s Data Protection Officer at RCN HQ.

Our solicitors are regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. 

Further information

You can also get help on a range of workplace issues.

Health Surcharge

Find out more about the increase to the Immigration Health Surcharge on our FAQ page.

General immigration advice

Bank accounts, driving licences, right to work, health charges, removals from the UK, appeal rights & administrative review

Health and Care Visas and the Immigration Health Surcharge FAQ

FAQs on the Health and Care Visa and the Immigration Health Surcharge

Biometric Residence Permit cards (BRP)

BRP cards, applications, how to transfer indefinite leave, costs and biometric enrolment

Status of EU nationals

Advice for EU or EEA nationals on current rights and applying for residency

The Windrush Scheme

Advice on the Windrush Scheme, how it works, and how to apply


Advice on the UK Visa and Citizenship Application Service

ILR applications

People residing in the UK with Limited Leave to Remain can apply for Indefinite leave to Remain (ILR) after 5 or 10 years continuous residence. To check if you can apply, see the Home Office website.

Landlord Immigration status checks

Our Immigration Advice Service is here to support and assist RCN members who are required to produce evidence of their right to enter into a tenancy agreement.

Language requirements

Advice on the English language requirements for Indefinite Leave to Remain and British citizenship

NMC requirements for Overseas Nurses

Advice on NMC requirements for overseas nurses wanting to join the register

Preparing for IELTS, OET and OSCE exams

Resources and useful links to help you prepare for your exams 

We're here for you

If you're an RCN member needing advice on immigration matters, please contact the RCN Advice Team.